Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Basics

Millie Fierce included the following video with her recent blog post at Skate Like a Girl.  It is a video on the basics of flat track derby brought to us by the Hammer City Roller Girls of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  This is something I really should have watched prior to my first bout.  I remember settling into my seat and watching the first jam, then the second and the third, all the while my brow is becoming more and more furrowed due to all the time spent wondering how those points were getting scored and what was going on in general.  At one point, I leaned over to my boyfriend, and said "Where's the ball?"  A silly thing to say, when I consider it now, but I was just so confused at the time.  (And, of course, there is NO ball in roller derby!)  We finally figured out the scoring system and the whole experience of watching and enjoying the bout became that much better.  At the two most recent bouts, SCDG and the opposing team got out on the track with the refs and prior to the first whistle, they ran through a mock jam for the audience, explaining all the penalties, ref hand signals, player positions, etc.  I love these mock jams and I'm sure they were super helpful to first time bout-goers.  Anyway, without further ado...

2 comments:

FM Daisy said...

So simply put!

Unknown said...

Don't worry. I didn't know anything about roller derby until you brought it up. I'm just now figuring it out.