Thursday, September 3, 2009

Boil N. BiteMe

I went to the dentist yesterday for my routine six month cleaning and I brought along my mouthguard so that the dentist could check it.  The hygienist was really nice and even offered to clean it for me.  When the dentist came in, he put the mouthguard in to make sure that it was properly fitted. He said that I had done a really good job during the boil and bite process and he usually doesn't see them that well fitted.  Yay!  But I can't take all the credit for being a good first time boil-n-biter, because I was talked through it by my boyfriend who used to play high school football.  He said that in order to make it fit properly, I really needed to suck out all the water and then bite down really hard.  I guess during his first season he had not done it properly and the mouthguard would fill up with drool all the time.  Yuck!

So the dentist was impressed with my boil-n-bite technique, but wanted to see the mouthguard protrude a little less in the front and to perhaps go up a little bit more over my front gums.  So we then talked about a custom mouthguard.  I would have to take a few impressions, which would then be sent to Irvine for mouthguard construction.  So this seems like a great idea, right?  I figured that it's probably only $100 or $150 at most, but when I asked the receptionist she said it was more like $375.  $375?!?  Looks like the $1.99 well-fitted boil-n-bite mouthguard is what I'll be sticking with for the time being, because my insurance only covers mouthguards if I am a grinder.  Bummer.

They were also really nice and tried to find a mouthguard case, but I guess they were out of them and new ones would not be in until later in the week.  That's okay, though, because I still really like the one I am using.  I bought this little tin can case about ten years ago in Japan and think it's pretty awesome and the perfect size for my mouthguard:
And in case you can't see the inscription, it reads, and I quote:  "To get out.  Indie every girl there's a stripper long get out. One night to hevenly.  Fantastic Fake Stars."

2 comments:

Lulu Lockjaw said...

Try this

http://www.customguards.com/

Rachel Eloise said...

Thanks, LuLu! Those definitely look more reasonable.